- Solo Practitioner
In my spare time, I thoroughly enjoy the company of my family and during non-business hours, I can often be found at the Gahanna soccer fields, swimming pools, and parks. Having grown up as a competitive swimmer and runner, I remain very physically active with swimming, jogging and golf. My family also loves the outdoors, preferring hiking and camping to less buggy pursuits.
Education and Background
I was born and raised in South Bend, Indiana, and moved to Ohio in 1974. I graduated from Miami University of Ohio, with an undergraduate degree in English and Creative Writing. I pursued a very successful career in communications, public relations and advertising, ultimately managing a multi-million dollar communications department for a large health and life insurance carrier. Wanting to pursue work in the legal field, I made the decision to go to law school full time in 1989. I graduated from Capital University Law School in 1992 with academic honors. I have an extremely strong work ethic and put myself through undergraduate and law school by working in retail sales and secretarial positions.
Professional Training and Accomplishments
I have pursued advanced training in collaborative law, mediation, divorce and custody, real estate, wills and estates, public records, open meetings and construction law. I am a co-author of the Home Rule Handbook for Ohio Townships. I am a highly trained and experienced mediator, especially in the areas of families, divorce and custody. I have also been extensively trained in mental health related topics and served as a crisis volunteer for a number of years, helping people deal with substance abuse and addiction, rape, suicide, child sexual abuse, and other personal crises. I have been published in various creative writing magazines and in the Ohio Poet's Anthology, and am a frequent speaker on international adoption.
I was inducted into the 2009 Fellows Class of the Ohio State Bar Foundation. Membership in the foundation is extended only to lawyers whose careers have demonstrated their dedication to the highest ideals of the legal profession and the welfare of their community. My other professional memberships include the Ohio State Bar Association and its Family Law Committee, the Columbus Bar Association and its Family Law Committee, Columbus Divorce Professionals, Inc. (serving in different capacities on the Board of Directors, including past-President), Ohio Mediation Association and the International Academy of Collaborative Attorneys. For several years I was on the adjunct faculty of Columbus State Community College and taught Legal Research and Writing. I have also been a speaker for the local and state bar on collaborative law and alternative dispute resolution techniques in child custody and divorce.
Areas Of Practice
- Family Law
- Ohio, 1992
- Capital University Law School, Columbus, Ohio
- Honors: Academic Honors
- Honors: Greer Hepburn Award for Composition
- Honors: Dean's List
- Honors: Order of the Curia
- Honors: American Jurisprudence Award for Study of Evidence
- Miami University of Ohio, Oxford, Ohio
- Major: English and Creative Writing
- Home Rule Handbook, (Co-Author), Ohio Townships
- Collaborative Divorce Professionals, Inc (past President)
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- International Academy for Collaborative Law Professionals
- Ohio Mediation Association
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County
- Ohio State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Present
Past Employment Positions
- Carlile Patchen & Murphy LLP, Of Counsel, then Partner, 12/2012 to 04/2017
- Albers and Albers LLP, Associate, then Partner, 11/1992 to 06/1999
- Solo Practitioner, 06/1999 to 12/2012